Sunday, October 27, 2013

Easy as Pie - the baker does it again

A few weeks ago I finished the Blueberry Pie for Little Miss Kiera! I CANNOT WAIT to see her in the costume and wish they lived closer so I could see it in real life...  Although I hear that she doesn't really want anything to do with wearing the costume, especially not the headband, so maybe it's a blessing in disguise and I can live blissfully ignorant and pretend that she absolutely adores every inch of the costume!! Thank God for Facebook, Instagram and text messages is all I have to say!

I had some extra felt from the project and my sister, liked the costume so much, she asked me if I could make her one. Of course I said yes and asked what kind she wanted to be - apple, cherry, pumpkin, blueberry? Miss Cara wanted to be a pecan pie... sure! wait... what? 12-year-olds know what Pecan Pie is?


A few days later, she texted me and asked if I could make her friend a pumpkin pie... Did I mention yet that our wedding is only 5 weeks away!?!?!?!

Yea, I'm nuts... so off I went to Jo-Ann, coupons in hand and app on phone... to get some supplies to make the girls their costumes.


They don't carry large nuts (hahaha... couldn't resist) at the craft and fabric store - who knew? But all their fall trim and flowers were 70% off so I snagged  few things and managed to come up with this little head band for Cara. I think I used 3 different stems to get this guy just right but I LOVE LOVE LOOOOOVE the way it turned out. I used $1-ear warmers so they don't freeze while trick-or-treating.


They also don't carry any 'pecan' fabric - shock of my life...but the 2 fabrics I found worked great with the goodies for the headband- one is brown with orange, yellow, and glittery gold teeny maple leaves on it which made for the perfect base of the pie. The other one, which I used to make the pecans, is yellow and orange oak leaves with brown acorns on a rusty colored background.

I cut out some pecan shapes from the extra felt and glued the fabric to them so that they would stand out a little on the pie. I even made the girls matching gloves because it's been pretty chilly here this week and I couldn't resist... plus they were only a dollar.

For the pumpkin pie costume, I knew I had to get this glittery pumpkin from Wal-Mart for the headband. I had seen it MONTHS ago and almost bought a whole array of them for our house (because it's totally normal to decorate a house that is completely under construction) but I didn't... last week I had to go to 3 different stores to find the damn thing! Because if you want pumpkins, you have to buy them in August. If you wait tilt he last week of October, your shit outta luck because all you will find is Christmas decorations and, maybe, some Halloween costumes that no one wanted.

I did find one though, buried in the bottom of a box underneath the rest of the left-over fall decor. SCORE!
Glued that baby to the headband and made some little pumpkin gloves for Clara too!

The pumpkin fabric is super cute (my mom's going to make little valances for my kitchen with what I have leftover) and all I needed to finish this one off was a "crust" pumpkin cut out for the middle of it.



I cannot wait to see the girls all dressed up! I'm sure they will do the costumes wayyyy more justice than I am in the pictures!

Happy Halloween!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment