Thursday, May 8, 2014

Deal-spotting for the Kitchen

Shopping for appliances is NO JOKE! I thought it was going to be so much fun to pick out fancy new goodies for our kitchen, turns out you need a full gas tank, patience, and a law degree to get the best deals.

I thought I hit the jackpot at Best Buy (read that post here), but after striking out there, I felt confident that I knew exactly what I wanted. I loved the sleek look of this Whirlpool range, the handle was pretty and I liked the stainless knobs. I love the large viewing window and it was convection, with a little extra space...
Sold! (almost)
 http://www.homedepot.com/p/Whirlpool-6-2-cu-ft-Electric-Range-with-Self-Cleaning-Convection-Oven-in-Stainless-Steel-WFE540H0AS/203571334
With one store under my belt, I headed into Home Depot with all the knowledge one can possess on mid-range cooking appliances. The man working there, well he was one damned helpful dude! He recommended this beauty... all the wonderful features that I loved about the Whirlpool, but for less dough! He was totally speaking my language. This Maytag wonder made me so happy - not only did it have a lower price tag, it also had a 3rd rack for the oven, a great parts and labor warranty, and few other features that made me love it more, it was more visually appealing (to me anyways) with more stainless and less black.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Maytag-AquaLift-6-2-cu-ft-Electric-Range-with-Self-Cleaning-Convection-Oven-in-Stainless-Steel-MER8775AS/203187828

Once I was hooked, there was only one thing left to do... convince my husband that he loved it too!
That took me 3 days!
When we went back to Home Depot to buy it, they were SOLD OUT!!! They couldn't even order it for me because of some kind of crazy logistics issues... but they were soooooo amazingly nice about it. They told me they would keep me on a call list for when they expected another shipment and that they would honor the sale price for me. (This is why I love HD!! They have THE BEST customer service)

Of course patience is NOT my virtue, so immediately, I started hounding the other stores that price match (ala- Best Buy, Lowes, Sears, etc) but much to my dismay, they were all sold out too :(

Then my sister recommended HH Gregg. Turns out, they are having a kitchen event this week (lucky me!) and they had the range and microwave we were looking for, in stock! We've my expert negotiator of a husband has wheeled and dealed with them over past purchases so we headed over there last night to see what they had to offer.

SCORE!
I'm usually terrible in this sort of situation where Jay dickers/haggles/negotiates and I think we're already getting a good deal so I feel bad asking for more... we got a significantly discounted price on both pieces, free delivery (usually $80) and the 5-year premium service plan for free, plus a rebate for $100 H.H. Gregg gift card (which we will hopefully use for the dishwasher, but I think Jay has his eye on some kind of surround sound system) The lesson here is - IT NEVER HURTS TO ASK!
 (secondary lesson, if you suck striking deals like I do, take someone like my husband)

Post-shopping victory beers at McKenzie Brew House

We had a "get the car" moment when we left and I had a giant shit-eatting grin plastered across my face. Now, I just can't wait til it is delivered on Saturday!

Dad installing the hardwood floor in the oven alcove
I'm so looking forward to being able to open and close my oven without fear that the door handle will fall off! I'm also really excited to be able to look at the oven and not see duct tape!


No comments:

Post a Comment