Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Kitchen Progress Continues

Remember when I started this kitchen makeover, (post here) I had dreams of a white and wood and stainless wonderland of a kitchen.

I've tackled painting the kitchen cabinets (no small feat!) and we've since scrapped that sheet vinyl flooring (which was a cost saver, but not our top choice) thanks to my Aunt Tracy and her generous donation of pretty hardwood to our cause :)


As you saw last week, I was having a serious dilemma with choosing appliances that are right for our kitchen but ultimately, price won the battle... first, I thought we were totally bringing these home from Best Buy. They were an amazing deal... but we all know what they say about things that are too good to be true... turns out, my cursory look on a lunch time fly by wasn't quite good enough... yea the price was right, but when we really looked at this oven, we noticed that there was a ring around one of the burners. Then we opened it up and there was very clearly spill marks baked into the bottom of the oven... not a great deal when this thing was so obviously used. Gross.




BUT...after some careful consideration, and some not-so-subtle comments from my loving husband about me being bat shit crazy how annoyed I would eventually get that the wine fridge didn't match the rest of the appliances, I'm still sold on stainless.


So this is what we've got so far...




1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 - 11 - 12 - 13 - 14 - 15 - 16 - 17 - 18 - 19

About a few missing links

3 - our curtains are Tahari (TJ Maxx - $24.99) similar here
5 - the wine fridge was a gift from my Bridesmaids (I have no idea where they got it but I think this is it)
18 - 6 boxes of our flooring were given to us by my aunt (who's brother gave it to her when he moved out of his old house) my dad ordered 2 more boxes for the last 40 sq ft of our kitchen and once I know what he got, I'll gladly let you know.. It's 4in planks, I think red oak - similar here

Other points of interest...

1 - If you haven't yet joined the Ikea Family - you are missing out, my friends! I get emails regularly letting me know what items in the store are on special... sometimes it's $2 off, sometimes it's $20+... not to mention, free coffee :) I can always get on board with that! Almost all the Ikea Items in our entire house (and even's Jay's office) were purchased this way... and the savings really adds up... quickly, when you're a shopoholic like me!
2 - the island cart, a hand-me-down from my brother and sister-in-law, is going to get a little make over
6+7 - I scored the island and stools from a couple on Craigslist for $200. It was less than a year old and in great shape! To buy new - it would have cost me $550, so pretty sweet deal! Although, I'm a bit leary of CL and the murder in Allentown the night before I went to get this stuff didn't help... Moral of the story - check out the listings, communicate with the seller via phone to arrange the deal... and NEVER EVER make pick ups with a stranger alone! 
9+13+17 -Maytag appliances - they have all the bells and whistles I want, for a fraction of the cost and May is "Maytag Month", so they have great sales and rebates right now!
15 - I first spotted these pretty knobs at Anthropologie, but they were priced out of my budget (at the time they were $12.50 each!) and that would have been fine if I only needed a handful but I needed 16! I found the same ones on Amazon and got free shipping (thank you prime!) for about $5.75 each


No comments:

Post a Comment